Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Heartbreak and Hope

Wow. Osama Bin Laden captured after nearly a decade, and devastating tornadoes swept through Alabama and across the rest of the southeast. This past week has been an intense one, and its events have shaken my core a bit. As a soon-to-be parent I have been meditating a lot about these events, what they mean, how heavy my heart feels, how the Lord feels about these events, and how to teach compassion and benevolence to our child through example and lifestyle.
Our town of Florence was very fortunate to have not been directly hit by any of the many tornadoes that passed through last Wednesday. However several surrounding towns and cities were not so fortunate, and have suffered great loss and destruction. Heartbreaking is the only word that sums up the images and stories I have seen the past few days. Alabama needs your help. Check out the Red Cross and Salvation Army for ways you can help. If you live near Alabama there are several drop-off locations you can donate supplies such as toiletries, water, non-perishable foods, diapers, clothes, pillows, flashlights, gas for generators, work gloves, and many other of the daily essentials we take for granted. If you want to do more, then just show up and volunteer in Phil Campbell, Hackleburg, Arab, Tuscaloosa, and other towns that need all the help they can get.
With all of the devastation and heartbreak have also been amazing examples of hope, compassion, and community. People have really come together to help and support one another. Examples of genuine love. One of the many many many people who lost everything to be interviewed by the news was asked what he was going to do now that he lost everything. His response was this, "I still have God and my family. That's all I need." Wow. My perspective on life and eternal value has been cleared up and put back in focus, and I am so grateful. Grateful that my family and friends are all alive. Grateful to have a house to call my home. Grateful for so so so many things...
Please go here and purchase a t-shirt form my talented and caring friend Maggie Crisler. All proceeds go to relief efforts across our state, and you'll get a snazzy new tee while you're at it. ;)

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Isaiah 41:10

No comments:

Post a Comment